Friday, April 18, 2008

Bitter?

Obama was quoted as describing small town voters as bitter. What Obama described incorrectly was the cause.

Elected officials and candidates are failing to talk about issues that are important to the voters. They ignore the rising energy prices, lack of consumer protections, and lack of job security, especially in a slowing or recessionary economy.

Health-care and sub-prime mortgages have been the only domestic issues covered by the candidates. NAFTA has also garnered talk, but the candidates failed to realize that NAFTA concerns were really concerns about economic security.

Other issues also beg to be addressed, including immigration reform, the environment (does anyone seriously believe that global warming isn't occurring?), and the unsustainably huge budget deficit.

2 comments:

Faye said...

I've been interested in your thoughts on the PA primary from a "ground level" view--you probably already voted in GA, right? Try to google some local coverage because I get so frustrated with the cable coverage.

I know you're an Obama supporter. I've followed his campaign, watched his debabe performances--all 22 almost!--but just can't sign on yet. I'm trying to support Hillary because I admire her toughness, but it's getting harder. Not very prowd of her lately.

Re the bitter comment--I think the big problem was where it was made. Coming from a state that gets a lot of condescension, that's what I thought it sounded like. If he'd said it on the campaign trail, not such a big deal.

Gay, Married, with Cat said...

Georgia's primary was in early February, and I had already moved here, so the Pennsylvania primary is the only one in which I've voted.

I did vote for Obama. He doesn't have the experience nor accomplishments of Clinton, but he has the vision and doesn't divide people like both Clintons do.