Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Presidential Race

Tonight, Iowa kicks off the first in a series of state presidential nominating contests. The Republican candidates are all lackluster. Mitt Romney could debate himself, he has changed his positions on so many issues. That's unfortunate, because he was probably the best of the Republicans.

Last election, I voted for John Edwards, but I doubt he has the charisma to win. Obama is too inexperienced, but I would love to see him run again. Like Edwards, Obama has an optimism that I like. Hillary is too much like Mitt Romney, drifting with the winds of public opinion. The other two serious candidates, Bill Richardson and Chris Dodd, are both well qualified but I have been unable to find much info about them. I had emailed the Richardson campaign a question, never received a reply, but have duly been added to their email (spam!) list.

From my perspective, any of the Democrats would be an improvement over the current occupant. Several of the Republicans (Romney, McCain) would also probably be an improvement. When you've hit rock bottom, then improvement is easy.

1 comment:

Faye said...

I'm still trying to sort out the IO results. At least on the Democratic side there's still three viable candidates. Agree with you about Edwards. In the debates, he just didn't own the stage. I'm glad the people of IO gave Obama a chance to prove his mettle. I think the media should toughen up on him though and if he can stand the scrutiny then we can have a fair fight.