Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Religious Fundamentalists: Frustrating, Wrong, and Afraid

Religious fundamentalists are certainly exasperating to me. Their belief that sexual orientation is chosen is wrong. If being gay is a choice, is being heterosexual a choice? Did they choose their orientation?

I remember giving up talking to a religious fundamentalist; as I was turning away, he told me very loudly to "stay away from the children." I was amazed, as he apparently thought that gays were pedophiles or that gays recruited (if any fundamentals are reading this, he was wrong. Statistically, a pedophile is more likely to be heterosexual in orientation than to be gay. And recruiting is a myth to explain why people "choose" to be gay). It certainly wasn't a good experience for me.

Perhaps the real reason some of the religious fundamentalists are so vocal concerning gays is that they are afraid of their own sexuality. Christianity, at least, has certainly discouraged sexuality except for procreational purposes (and then when married). Of course, their virulence could also be hiding their attraction to the same sex.

I'm ready for the fundamentalists to get a new cause: feeding the hungry, providing health-care for the sick, or providing shelter to the homeless.

No comments: