Friday, August 31, 2007

My Mixed Heritage and Iowa's Gay Marriages

One of the reasons I'm interested in the Civil War is that my father's family is from Iowa while my mother's family is from Georgia. My mother's grandfather fought in the Confederate Army, while Iowa contributed the most Union soldiers of any state in proportion to their population. Rumor has it that family members enlisted, but I haven't been able to verify that.

Indeed, when the Union Army invaded Georgia, many units from Iowa fought; there is even a monument to the Iowa dead at the Chickamauga battlefield in north Georgia.

So it was with interest that I noted the gay marriages taking place in my home state of Iowa. According to Reuters News, gay couples were lined up to apply for marriage licenses when the doors to the Polk County (the county that Des Moines is in) Courthouse opened this morning.

Perhaps the enthusiasm will change some minds.

1 comment:

Phila-gay, married with cat said...

I'm not so sure that any minds are going to change on this one.....