Friday, October 12, 2007

The Faith Club

One of the results of 9/11 was that three women of different faiths started meeting together to discuss their religions (Islam, Christianity, and Judaism) and to write an interfaith children's book. The Faith Club tells their story, as they discover how much the differing faiths share in common.

One of the women describes her belief that there are different, equally valid routes to God. That is one of my beliefs too. Here is a quote from Ranya Idliby:
"I believe that God does not distinguish between humans because of their race, color, or religious tradition. God sees beyond the different rituals and judges the valor of humans not on the merits of one tradition over the other but rather on our own actions and choices."
Some people would disagree with my belief that God's grace extends beyond just Christians. I have a difficult time believing that my Jewish and Muslim friends, with their love and compassion for others, are not given God's grace too.

I highly recommend the book.

1 comment:

Faye said...

TBLB, this is the second recommendation I've gotten for "The Faith Club" in the last week so will definitely read. Actually, our local newspaper is starting an on-line book club for the paper's readers--a new and interesting format, I thought. This book is the first selection for the on-line discussion. The authors will be in town in mid-November to speak at an annual Festival of Faith which promotes understanding and appreciation for all religions.